Blackening Seasoning Recipe – The Best Seasoning for Salmon and Chicken!on January 10, 2013 at 1:00 am
Ooooooo…..my taste buds water just thinking about it! Blackening seasoning, or blackened seasoning as it is also referred to, is now my number one go-to spice when I’m cooking either salmon or chicken.
Last year the hubby and I went to a family gathering where his cousin’s friend jumped on the grill and whipped up some of the best salmon I had ever tasted in my life! When I asked the friend, who I found out later was a culinary genius, his secret to such tasty salmon, he said “Blackening Seasoning, you can find it at any market.” So I was on a mission!
Unfortunately I couldn’t find it at any of my local super markets, but after a bit of searching online and mixing I came up with, what I believe is, the best blackening seasoning around! Now I’d like to share my recipe with you! Here it is:
Blackening Seasoning Recipe
- 1 heaping Tbs. paprika
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 heaping tsp. garlic powder
- 1 heaping tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. ground cayenne pepper (1/4 tsp. doesn’t make it spicy, but I add 1/2 tsp. because we like it a little spicy)
- 2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. leaf thyme
- 1/2 tsp. leaf oregano
Mix all of the ingredients well and store in a seasoning shaker. When you’re ready to use it, shake generously over your salmon or chicken before you cook it and voila! The only salmon seasoning and chicken seasoning you will ever need!
BONUS: 30 Minute Meal – Salmon, White Rice & Steamed Veggies
What you need:
- Blackening Seasoning
- Lemon Juice from 1/2 lemon (optional)
- Olive oil
- Long grain white rice
- Veggies for steaming or frozen steamed veggie medley
Easy step-by-step directions:
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
- Start the rice next. For the two of us I just put 1/2 cup rice mixed with 1 cup water and a light sprinkling of salt uncovered over a medium flame. I let it come to a boil, set it to low, cover and let sit on low until everything is done cooking (approx. 20 minutes)
- Next, lightly cover a piece of foil with olive oil, place your salmon on the foil. I like to squeeze a little lemon on it first (sometimes I’ll even marinate it over night in lemon), then generously shake on the blackening seasoning and wrap with the foil so the salmon is completely covered.
- Put salmon in the oven. 10-15 minutes for salmon fillets about 1″. 15-20 minutes for salmon fillets about 2″.
- For your steamed veggies, this is all preference. I generally work with whatever I have, but normally I like to keep the Green Giant frozen vegetable medleys on hand, but every once in a while I’ll have some fresh zucchini or broccoli. An easy 4 minutes for the frozen veggies or 10-15 minutes for fresh veggies on the stove in a steamer should do.
- Plate everything and serve!
Thanks for following!
<3 Lulubell Elaine
This post was featured on Mandy’s Recipe Box Totally Tasty Link Party. Check it out!